CO-OPERATIVE EDUCATION WEEK
MARCH 18-22, 2013
Highlight March 18-22, 2013 on your calendar to celebrate Co-operative Education Week!
Students across Canada are encouraged to participate in our nationwide social media contest. See the list of participating institutions.
• hyperlink for 'social media contest': www.coopweek.com
• hyperlink for 'list of participating institutions': http://www.coopweek-en.com/participating-schools.html
Co-operative education has been working in Canada for well over 50 years with no sign of slowing down. With over 80,000 co-op students in Canada, organizations are able to tap into a remarkable resource of newly developed skill sets, while at the same time enhancing their workforce by meeting a variety of staffing requirements. The Canadian Association for Co-operative Education (CAFCE) is a resource for co-op practitioners across Canada. Its on-line Co-op Directory is a useful tool for students and employers interested in co-operative education. CAFCE is more than 490 members strong from colleges, universities, government and business who actively advocate and promote post-secondary co-operative education at the post-secondary level.
It is time to begin preparing to celebrate co-op successes and student achievements during Co-operative Education Week during 2013. Have an open house and invite all departments from your institution, submit articles to your local newspaper and school newspaper, send out a newsletter, do a show on the local cable channel, highlight co-op on your schools website, offer to speak at departmental, community meetings on the benefits of co-op..and don’t forget to take a couple of co-op students. Be creative and innovative. We are all experiencing economic uncertainties which is causing enormous challenges in job development and recruitment for co-op positions. It is important to get the co-op message out there and demonstrate that co-op is alive and well.
Media and Promotional Activities:
Co-op Student and Employer Recognition Awards:
- CAFCE Co-op Week (2012) Social Media Contest, Managed by Stuart Billings and Brayford from Simon Fraser Universityhttp://www.coopweek.com/
Sinan Leylek ~ CAFCE Grand Prize Winner ($200 Future Shop Gift Certificate)
- March 22, 2012, Glen R. Murray, Minister of Training, Colleges and Universities announced National Co-operative Education Week (2012) to the Ontario Legislative Assembly (Statement to the Legislative Assembly .PDF)
- March 16, 2012, Ed Holder, Member of Parliament announced National Co-operative Education Week (2012) on the floor of the House of Commons
- 2011 Mayor of Barry, Ontario's proclamation (2011) (.PDF)
- 2005 Tsunami Donation to the World University Service of Canada (WUSC), $2,050.00
We would be happy to add more ideas to the list of activities so please send your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org to share will your co-op colleagues.