Dr. Graham Branton Research Award
About this Award
The Research Award was instituted in 1989 both to recognize significant contributions by the Canadian Association for Co-operative Education (CAFCE) members to scholarly research in Co-operative Education, and to encourage such research. The award was renamed the Dr. Graham Branton Research Award in 1996, in his memory.
Significant contribution would normally represent a research study that has important implications for, or a body of research that adds to the understanding and/or enhancement of co-operative education at the post-secondary level in Canada.
While the award does not contain any monetary value, it recognises the recipient’s contribution to research of value to co-operative education.
SPONSORED BY THE UNIVERSITY OF VICTORIA
- Nominee and Nominator must be members of CAFCE.
- For an individual award, the candidate must have been a member of CAFCE for at least 6 months prior to submission of a nomination.
- In the case of team research, a joint award can be given to a team if all members of the team are members of CAFCE. If a team member(s) is not a CAFCE member, the non-member’s contributions will be acknowledged by CAFCE.
Although the award is available each year, the Nomination and Awards Committee reserves the right to withhold bestowal of the award.
One (1) .pdf electronic document of the completed Dr. Graham Branton Research Award Nomination Form (2015/16) and supporting materials must be received at email@example.com by 4:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time Friday, May 27, 2016.
The CAFCE 2015/16 Awards Presentation will take place during the CAFCE 2016 Conference in Moncton.
WALL OF FAME
ACE-BC/YK RESEARCH AND INITIATIVES COMMITTEE
(Earl Anderson, BCIT; Larry Iles, TRU; Norah McRae, UVic;
Nancy Reed, UVic' and, July Walchli, UBC (Chair))
The Dr. Graham Branton Research Award was instituted in 1989 to recognize significant contributions by CAFCE members to scholarly research in Co-operative Education and to encourage such research. The award was re-named the Dr. Graham Branton Research Award in 1996, in his memory. This award is sponsored by the University of Victoria and Norah McRae is here to present the award.
The recipient’s of the 2011/12 Dr. Graham Branton Research Award all the members of the Research and Initiatives Committee of the Association of Co-operative Education BC/Yukon (ACE).
The ACE Research Committee is composed of senior co-op professionals from five BC Co-op Institutions - British Columbia Institution of Technology, Simon Fraser University, Thompson Rivers University, the University of British Columbia, and the University of Victoria.
The Research and Initiatives Committee of ACE was established in 1998. The committee’s mandate is to explore basic research issues pertaining to Co-operative Education to advance and inform both practice and policy. Over the past several years the committee has undertaken a variety of research projects on topics such as:
Co-op trends, youth employability, and industry and business market projections. Thru research the committee seeks to advance the concept of Co-operative Education both with its member institutions and the wider co-op community.
In April 2012, the committee submitted for publication to the Co-operative Education & internship Association (CEIA) Journal a research study entitled: “Co-op Education and Student Recruitment, Engagement and Success: Early Findings from a Multi-Institutional Study in British Columbia”.
Over the past three years, the committee has delivered several presentations of their findings including:
- CEIA National Conference, Portland, Oregon
- WACE World Conference, Vancouver, BC
- CAFCE National Conference, Charlottetown, PEI
- ACE BC Provincial PD Session, Nanaimo, BC
- CACUSS, St. John’s, NFLD
- CAFCE Atlantic, St. John’s, NFLD
Past accomplishments include:
- A joint research project with CEIA colleagues in the US (2000)
- Contributions to the “Handbook for Research in Co-operative Education & Internships” (2003)
- Support of the CAFCE Research and Stats Committee in 2004/05
In recognition of their outstanding contribution to scholarly research in Co-operative Education, CAFCE would like to present the Dr. Graham Branton Research Award for 2011/12 to the members of the ACE Research and Initiatives Committee with our thanks.
Presented at the CAFCE 2012 Conference, Whistler, BC on Monday, July 30, 2012
Kelly Mahoney, Chair, CAFCE Nominations and Awards Committee (2011/12)
- 2010: Dr. Maureen Drysdale, St. Jerome's University, University of Waterloo (awarded on her collection of research work)
- 2008: Dr. Geraldine Van Gyn, University of Victoria (awarded on his collection of research work)
- 2005: Joy Hanley and Ellen MacFarlane - St. Francis Xavier University (The Feasibility of Establishing a Cooperative BScN Program in Nursing in Nova Scotia)
- 1999: Dr. Rick Reeves, University of Victoria (awarded on his collection of research work)
- 1997: Nancy Davidge Johnston, Simon Fraser University (The Nature of Learning in Co-operative Education in the Applied Sciences)
- 1996: Gregory Noah, Memorial University of Newfoundland (Investigating the Perception of an Increasing Employer to Co-op Student Ratio on Co-ordinator's Activities)
- 1995: Michel Laporte, Collège de l'Outaouais
- 1994: Daphne Lordly, Mount Saint Vincent University
- 1992: Dr. Graham Branton, University of Victoria
- 1991: Dr. James W. Wilson, Northeastern University
- 1990: Dr. Patricia Rowe, University of Waterloo