Co-op Student of the Year Awards
About this Award
Since 1994, CAFCE has chosen a student each year to receive the CAFCE Co-op Student of the Year Award (CSOTYA). This award recognizes a wide variety of achievements -- job performance, academic performance and responsibility, and particular contributions to their co-op employer, to Co-operative Education, and the community-at-large.The award is presented to a college and a university Co-operative Education student. The two winning students will be celebrated during National Co-operative Education Week. They receive a certificate and a $500 cash award from CAFCE to recognize their achievements. All nominated students will receive a letter and certificate of recognition for their national nomination.
In addition, the two winning students will receive the Emery-Dufault Award ($500) in recognition of the contributions of two of the founding fathers of Co-operative Education in Canada, Dr. Charles Leslie (Les) Emery and Professor George Joseph Dufault.
Co-op Student of the Year Awards 2016
The Canadian Association for Co-operative Education (CAFCE) announces the 2016 Co-op Students of the Year: Brianna Guild, University of Guelph and Kaye Mao, Sheridan College.
Rising to the top, from a field of 17 nominees, Brianna and Kaye embodied all the attributes of outstanding co-op students by making a significant impact in their co-op work term, achieving high academic performance, showing commitment to enhancing the profile of co-operative education at their post-secondary institutions, and making a difference in their communities.
Brianna Guild recently completed her final semester of the Biochemistry Co-op program at the University of Guelph. She was nominated for the CAFCE Co-op Student of the Year award by her co-op coordinator, Andrew Kramer and her co-op employer, Dr. Jim Uniacke, Assistant Professor in the Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology at the University of Guelph. “Brianna works very well within our team and can collaborate with a variety of different people within or outside our department,” says Dr. Unicacke. “She has, without a doubt, improved morale and work ethic within our team through her leadership and positive energy.”
During her work term, Brianna played a key role in developing a procedure to culture human cells in physiological oxygen using a hypoxia workstation; this procedure garnered national media attention. She also co-authored a manuscript that was recently accepted for publication in the Journal of Visualized Experiments, and that will accompany the video of the procedure. She has presented her work at several local and national meetings and won best undergraduate poster at the Guelph Neuroscience Day. Brianna is the recipient of the University of Guelph's Co-op Student of the Year Award and the Collin Cureatz Memorial Award for Co-op Student Involvement.
Images from the
|Kaye Mao is a student in Sheridan College’s new Interaction Design program and is the first Sheridan student to be selected for a co-op term with Google in New York. Kaye’s strength as a leader quickly became evident as she not only led a team with Google, but also increased motivation and classroom attendance in her program. Kaye demonstrated leadership by founding the Sheridan Interaction Design Association. As a volunteer, she mentors her colleagues in finding positions and has represented her program as a Sheridan Ambassador. Kaye divides her time between a personal blog to promote the co-op program and the association, and social media marketing. Kaye’s wealth of professional experience is highlighted by her academic achievements and volunteerism in the community. She has demonstrated incredible drive, positivity, and the ability to excel academically, professionally and personally. Kaye is an exemplary representative of Sheridan College and of Co-operative Education.|
Honorable mentions were awarded to Adam Keating from Memorial University of Newfoundland and Amanda Barratt of Conestoga College.
FOR THE FULL PRESS RELEASE, CLICK HERE.
Images from University of Guelph's Award Ceremony
Images from Sheridan College's Award Ceremony
Wall of Fame
- 2015: Rachel McDonald (University of Waterloo) and Shauna-Kay Jones (Sheridan College)
- 2014: Andrew Andrade (University of Waterloo) and Rumman Ullah Khan (Fanshawe College)
- 2013: Alex Chen (University of British Columbia) and Kristen Leigh Metz (Sheridan College)
- 2012: Hangrui (Henry) Shi (University of Waterloo) and Mohammed Mahfuz Chowdhury (Sheridan College)
- 2011: Lisa Hodgins (Assiniboine Community College) and Laura Pittman (Memorial University of Newfoundland)
- 2010: Melissa Bailey (University of Manitoba) and Sven Hansen (Georgian College)
- 2009: Mona Jalili (Simon Fraser University) and Lori-Beth Pentsa (Conestoga College)
- 2008: Katelyn Mueller (Simon Fraser University) and Daryl Walker (College of the North Atlantic)
- 2007: Kate Gardiner (University of Waterloo) and Kevin Ginley (Camosun College)
- 2006: Kristin Harris (University of Waterloo) and Marisa Havens (Conestoga College)
- 2005: Jit Seng Chen (University of Waterloo) and Jaksa Panic (Conestoga College)
- 2004: Jan Verspoor (Simon Fraser University)
- 2003: Marc Slingerland (University of Lethbridge)
- 2002: Jane Nunnikhoven(Simon Fraser University)
- 2001: Jodi Powers (McMaster University)
- 2000: Russell Goodman(University of Lethbridge)
- 1999: Jennifer Motuz (University of Waterloo) (Update)
- 1998: Tammy Lee (University of Guelph)
- 1997: David Landry(McMaster University)
- 1996: Andrea Baldwin (Mount Saint Vincent University)
- 1995: Amy Lajoie (Wilfrid Laurier University)
- 1994: Stephen Kranabetter (University of Victoria)